Monday, February 11, 2013

A day late...

Well it's now Monday night & it's the first chance I have to get a new post done. My apologizes to anyone who might have been hanging on a thread for this over the weekend.
 
I spent most of this weekend working on why my water heater was leaking. I noticed a puddle around the back door the other day & it was coming from the water heater. We've had been putting a towel on it & in the morning the towel was soaked through. Needless to say, this had me more than a little concerned.
 
So my dad came over and we took some things apart and searched high and low, mostly low, to try and figure out where this water was coming from. He got the pressure valve to work, that got ruled out and after a long search, and he was able to guess where the water was coming from… the cap on the roof!
 
Apparently, it is leaking down the roof, inside the water heater and puddling on the floor. This explains why when it snows, we get more water there. That meant I got the extra fun job of climbing up on the roof in the winter, shoveling snow from around the cap and putting some roofmelt pellets up there. And I really don’t like being up on our roof in the summer. Not a good time.
 
The kids went to their Pokémon tournament this weekend and got to bring a friend. They all had fun, but when I asked if they got any cool new cards, Sean said no, but their friend did. He only got one good card. Since I haven’t played Pokémon in over ten years, and never with cards, I am not really up on the game. As long as the kids have fun and stay out of trouble, as much as Pokémon annoys me, I’m okay with it.
 
I heard back from Mike with the Neighborhood Development Center! The good news is I have everything ready they need to get going to determine if they will finance the truck. The bad news is they called me on Monday the 4th and the deadline for February was Friday the 1st. Ugh! Cross your fingers that the rest goes off without a hitch!
 
It turns out that I fried my 15 year old bread maker last week. Kinda bummed about that. The last 3 loaves it turned out were all weird and lumpy shaped and didn’t rise well. When I looked more closely, I saw that the heating element was scorched and so was the side of the oven next to it. We tried shopping for a new one over the weekend but no one had any! I saw a couple I liked online so I might have to have one shipped. I am looking a BreadMan brand, but if you have any suggestions, let me know! I love making bread, but without a good way to proof it, it takes FOREVER to rise in my house, so that’s why I like the bread maker idea.
 
And on to my favorite part of the program! I only got the chance to do a little baking and tried out a new brownie recipe. It turned out really good but the girls ate it so fast, they didn’t give me a chance to take a pic. I’ll still post the recipe and have to add the picture later when I make them again; which reminds me that I need to pick up more butter and cocoa powder at the store. A new friend of mine also posted in their blog about beignets as well as a good looking recipe. That is my plan for next weekend! But you don’t need to wait. Just go to http://www.clevercajun.com, click Blogs and you can get started on making your own heavenly treats from NOLA.
 
Well, in the immortal words of Porky Pig – Tha... tha... that’s all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment