Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What a wich


So this weekend I was toying with the idea of making a low carb chip/ snacky thing. I like Rutabagas & thought that might be the ticket. I picked one up, peeled it and sliced it on the lowest setting on my mandolin. Then I simmered it until tender in salted vinegar water. And boy was it tasty when it came out! Then I cooled it down and threw it into the fryer and rubbed my hands - eagerly awaiting a crispy chip like thing. [Insert buzzer sound here] WRONG! I think I should have fried them while hot or not blanched them in the water at all cuz I ended up with soggy, oil chips. Maybe take two will do the trick.

Anyways, I got lost down that rabbit hole; let us come back to the subject at hand.

This is in honor of St Patrick’s Day & my Great Gramma who was born in Ireland.

Have you ever taken a bite of something that was so good that you had to share it with someone? Any parents out there probably are nodding their collective heads in a resounding YES! Parents want to expand their kid’s lives and one way we do this is by having them try new things.

But I am not talking about something new. I’m talking about a sandwich that has been around for decades. It was a Reuben. This by itself doesn’t sound like anything special or impressive. When I made this one, I made a sub along with it cuz I was really hungry & we didn’t have any chips or snacky stuff to go with it. Plus I was craving a Reuben to make with the corned beef recipe that was inspired by my mom.

The sad part about this absolutely incredible sandwich? I gave half to my wife & afterwards my sub sandwich tasted terrible in comparison. I mean I ate half of it before I tried the Reuben and while it wasn’t super fantastic, it was still pretty good.  Now while I can’t guarantee that your Reuben sandwich will be as transcendent as mine was (and that’s because I used my secret recipe for 1,000 island dressing on mine), what I can promise is one of the finest Corned Beefs you might ever try.

 
 
 

Corned Beef Brisket

Ingredients

1 Corned Beef brisket
12 to16 oz dark beer
 2 cups brown sugar
 ½ cup granulated garlic
 2 tablespoon dry mustard

Directions

Mix brown sugar, garlic & mustard together & rub into corned beef. Wrap & rest in refrigerator for about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350°.

Put corned beef into roasting pan and surround by beer. Cover with foil & bake for about 1 ½ hours. Cool in braising liquid, rest 24 hours and slice thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment