Sunday, May 26, 2013

“Me want cookie!” - Cookie Monster


Lately, I have noticing there are a lot, I mean, A LOT of peanut butter cookie recipes being posted on Pinterest lately. Sometimes I feel like I can’t get by 4 posts without seeing another one. And most of them have unsubstantiated claims like “Only 4 ingredidents1” or “gluten free!” but when you get to the actual recipe, you find it had 12 ingredients and at least one is flour.

I have decided to throw my hat into the arena for this. Because if there is one thing I love better than donuts, it’s peanut butter! My mom can attest to this addiction came from a very young age. She has a picture of me & my brother when we have the infamous Peanut Butter & Cheese fight – this was when you could get both in a squeeze-able container. If you substitute peanut butter for green eggs & ham, then I’m right with you Sam I Am!

This recipe has been tweeted and twisted and turned a bit. As usual, when I was working on it, I grabbed as many Peanut Butter cookie recipes as I could find, then compared them all to one another to see what the major & minor differences were. Most were the same. Except one. It called itself “The Impossible Peanut Butter Cookie” and I agreed with the title. This cookie had no flour and only 3 ingredients – Peanut Butter, sugar & eggs. I thought, no way this can work! There just no way, there’s no flour to give texture or build off the gluten, no leavening – this thing is just going to melt into a giant puddle on the pan. So I set that recipe aside and worked on the rest to make, what sounded like on paper, a really great cookie.

It was okay. Nothing special. Yeah, it was a peanut butter cookie, so that made it delicious, but it wasn’t anything to write home about or bring to work to say, hey try this! I decided to look at the impossible cookie again. I made a small batch, because I didn’t want to waste my precious ingredients. Lo & behold – it was really good! It held its shape well enough that pressing it was necessary and it worked great making peanut butter blossoms too! But I wanted more – you’ve never heard that from me before have you? ;)

Now was the time to put on my culinary thinking cap & put all of the years of school and cooking & baking to work. What could I do to bring out the peanut butter flavor & truly delight a PB head like me?

The final product doubled the number of ingredients to six. Peanut butter (of course), eggs, brown & white sugar (the original recipe only called for white) vanilla & the curveball – curry powder. Believe it or not, the curry truly brought out the flavor of the peanut butter & it was such a minute amount that it is almost undetectable. So if you love peanut butter as much as I do, these are the cookies for you!

Peanut Butter Cookies

Total Time: 12 mins
Yield: 18 cookies

Ingredients
1 cup peanut butter (your choice, smooth or chunky)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1/16 tsp curry powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
sugar, for rolling (optional)

Directions
Mix peanut butter, both sugars, curry, vanilla and egg together until smooth.
Drop by teaspoon onto cookie sheet two inches apart. If desired, roll in extra sugar before placing on cookie sheet.
Press with fork; press again in opposite direction.*
Bake 8-9 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Do not brown; do not over bake.

*If making Peanut Butter Blossoms, roll balls in sugar & do not flatten before baking. Pressing the kiss into the cookie after it comes out of the oven when flatten the cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment